From: [email-masked] (Mail Server)
To: [email-masked]
Date: 95-09-24 19:25:05 EDT

Request: welcome

------ begin of welcome -- ascii -- complete ------
Welcome aboard!

             INTRODUCTION TO THE WEATHER SATELLITE MAILING LIST
             --------------------------------------------------
                             [email-masked]
                         [email-masked]

The WXSAT list was created for persons interested in weather
satellites, both polar and geostationary.   WXSAT is intended for
discussions and questions about how to use and build systems that can
receive direct weather satellite image broadcasts.  While anything
related to weather satellites and imaging is fair game, please avoid
getting into military satellites used for communications or
intellegence gathering.  Emphasis will be placed on polar orbiting
satellites (e.g., NOAA 12) because they're easier to receive, but the
GOES series will be addressed, too.  Discussion is also open for the
many foreign weather satellites.  For example, did you know that Meteor
2-20 captured a picture of the moon's shadow during the 11 July 1991
eclipse?  

This list should *NOT* be confused with the WX-STLT list from
vmd.cso.uiuc.edu that broadcasts the GOES satellite interpretive
messages. 

This list doesn *NOT* distribute images on a regular basis.  If you're
looking for "pretty pictures," you're in the wrong place. 
 
*------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*
 
Message Groups.
 
The NOAA messages sent on this list are diverse and cover both geostationary
and polar satellites.  Five message groups are available to customize the
mailings to your needs.  The groups are:
   Big messages		(If not set, messages over 45KB are not sent)
   General              (User comments and misc. notices)
   Polar all		(All polar messages *except* TBUS)
   Polar TBUS		(*Only* polar TBUS messages)
   GOES			(All GOES messages including TBUS)

It is possible to combine groups, requesting GOES, General, and Polar TBUS
messages, for example.  The "Big" modifier applies to all messages; it can
not be applied selectively.  

All subscribers are set to receive all messages.  If you wish to change
this, send a message to [email-masked] requesting whatever groups fit
your needs.  

*------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*
 
Net Protocol.
 
Although discussion is encouraged on WXSAT, please be considerate of
others on the list and send *personal* messages directly to the
intended recipient --not the list.  Of course, if you feel your
message might be of interest to everyone, go ahead and post it.  WXSAT
can be used as a place to announce weather satellite related
conferences, software, and to call attention to special events.
 
Due to network delays and outages some postings (especially long ones)
may take several hours (or even days !) to reach everyone.  Keep this in
mind when posting updates that are highly time-critical.  For fastest
delivery, it is recommended that you subscribe to the list using your
Internet address (if you have one).
 
Network addresses can be very difficult (if not impossible) to
reconstruct from messages sent through various gateways.  Please
include your return address on all messages. 
 
Mail is distributed to the list as messages are received.  Due to
network problems or mailer problems it may be necessary at times to
remove problem subscribers from the lists without prior notice.  If you
have not received mail from the list in several days you might want to
send mail to [email-masked] for assistance.
 
*------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*
 
Where to send things.

To send mail to the entire list, address the mail to:

                            [email-masked]

You may request to subscribe, unsubscribe or ask any list management
related questions by sending mail to:
 
                         [email-masked]
 
*------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*
 
How to get old messages and files.

Wxsat maintains an informal archive of past messages.  A file server, mserv,
handles requests for help, an index, and , of course, files themselves.  
To use the file server, address the mail to:

                             [email-masked]

A help message is always available by sending "help" in a message.  To get
the current index, in the body of the message simply put "index" on a single
line (without the quotes).

The index will show a directory (public) and several sub-directories
(msgs, pgms, gifs).  The archive is organized according to the
descriptions seen in the index.  To retrieve a message, 00001234.txt,
send "send 00001234.txt" in a single line.  Requests from different
sub-directories can be mixed in a single message.

NOTE:  The wxsat archive is *not* an official NOAA archive and data is
stored on a space available basis.  

*------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*
 
If you have any questions or comments about the WXSAT list, please send
them to the address below, or [email-masked].  Thank you
for your interest in the WXSAT list.

Rick Emerson
Wxsat Mail List Administrator

------ end of welcome -- ascii -- complete ------

----------------------- Headers --------------------------------
From [email-masked]  Sun Sep 24 19:24:46 1995
Return-Path: [email-masked]
Received: from uu7.psi.com (uu7.psi.com [38.8.39.2]) by mail03.mail.aol.com
(8.6.12/8.6.12) with SMTP id TAA22276 for <[email-masked]>; Sun, 24 Sep 1995
19:24:44 -0400
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 1995 22:41:43 GMT
From: Mail Server <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: welcome (complete) ascii